December 7, 2008

Posted by michaelw on 5:41 PM

Hi everybody,

Not bad, right? Not everyone agrees with me, but come on, I thought it was great! The feedback I’ve received about “Twilight,” has ranged from “laughably bad,” to “Perfect! Better than the book!” Overall, I thought it was pretty good! I’m glad we get a chance to make “New Moon” and “Eclipse,” because I think we can do better, but all things considered, I’m very happy with this movie.

Thank you all for coming out to see the film with such fervor these opening couple of weeks. Thanks to you, “Twilight” has its’ place among the elite cultural juggernauts of this decade, right up there with “Napoleon Dynamite,” Dave Chappelle’s impressions of Rick James and Lil’ Jon, and those hilarious talking cavemen who just want a little respect from the Geico Corporation and an ignorant modern society!

If you liked the movie, right on- I couldn’t be happier. If you didn’t like it, hang in there, we’re gonna come back strong with “New Moon.” If you REALLY didn’t like it, I am so sorry we failed you. I’d pay for your refund myself if I had the time, resources, and money. But unfortunately, this economy is hittin’ everybody, and that includes us smalltime Hollywood folk. If you REALLY didn’t like ME, you’re a pretty harsh critic because I thought I was just FINE. So :P Granted, my “fake gun” pointing in the prom at the end was a little cheesy… Ok very cheesy… But what do you want? Mike Newton isn’t a complicated guy. He certainly has a valuable role in Bella’s life, but this kid is no “Hamlet.” He’s just Mike Newton! I did my best. I hope our little high school crew got a couple of chuckles out of you.

What can I say? It’s been such an honor to be a part of something that has generated such electricity. At a “Twilight” Border’s event in Westwood, CA, we raised over $700 for Kids With A Cause. Thanks again to those of you who donated, that money is going to help a lot of kids.

The premiere was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I felt like late 90s’ Joey Fatone (Rob being Justin Timberlake, of course). My only regret, and this is true now (I’m not just pandering), is that I didn’t get to spend more time with the fans. Instead, I had to answer the same three questions for over two hours. But nonetheless, it was an amazing night.

The Hollywood Santa Parade was a lot of fun. I’m glad Justin Chon was there with me to spread some Christmas happy. At one point I was ambushed by a progressive blogger to share my views on Prop 8. You know I try to stay out of the public discourse when it comes to politics, but I decided not to wimp out, and I said what I think. I believe this particular issue will be viewed by history in such obvious terms, I find it uncontroversial to publicly take the position I’ve taken. There is no debate in my mind. The battle for civil rights, human dignity, liberty, and love rages on, and the more we collectively move toward those things, the more perfected our union will become.

I’ve been working on a movie called, “Rough Hustle.” It’s about a small group of amateur card counters who try to get their piece of the American dream in Las Vegas. We shot for a week in a town called Mesquite, NV (right off the 15, just north of Bunkerville). The people of Mesquite COULDN’T HAVE BEEN NICER. They were nothing but welcoming and kind from the start. Some of the cast and crew attended a midnight screening of “Twilight” with me in Mesquite, and the kids there were thrilled. I felt a little bad keeping them up until 3-4 in the morning. It WAS a school night. But not that bad. I’m sure they’ve recovered fine by now. Thanks again Mesquite.

I also want to mention James Elam for featuring me in the first ever issue of The Digital Backlot Magazine . Thanks for thinking of me James. I’m sure you’ll feature a lot of great people over the years and I’m honored to be the first.

Have a great holiday season everybody! Merry Christmas!! Happy Chanukah!! And to my secularist readers, Happy time off of work and school!! Make the most of it! Love each other! Let’s have a great 2009!!!

-Mike

2 comments:

Comment by Princess Arashi on December 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Hi Mike!!! Totally I love New Moon and it was so cute your scene at the movie theater. I can't wait for Eclipse and your new projects. Receive hugs and kisses from your peruvian fans!!

 
Comment by Unknown on January 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Michael you are so hilarious in New Moon, you and Anna Kendrick just stole the scenes you were in. All my twitarded girlfriends are unconitionally and irrevocably in love with you! Team Mike Newton-because real men will flag you by shaking their ass in front of your dad:)LOL

 

Post a Comment